Thursday 10 December 2020

The First Firsts

COVID has been the perfect cloak to avoid many social occasions while we’ve been learning how to live without drinking. A couple of work dinners were cancelled when the ‘pause’ was announced. Boards and committees I’m involved with have not organised anything at all, just in case they had to be cancelled. I admit I had a sense of relief about this. It was just easier not to attend these sorts of functions. 

But this week I have faced up to dealing with a bunch of firsts. First time we put up the Christmas tree without a glass of champagne. First team Christmas Secret Santa drinks and nibbles where I didn’t order a glass of wine and first team Christmas lunch where I had a mocktail instead. 

Apart from the utter surprise of a colleague who has worked with me for a decade and asked ‘how’s that going?’ It was absolutely fine. 

No one really noticed and certainly no one cared. I didn’t get a grilling and I didn’t feel uncomfortable. 

I have two lunches next week. Our Executive and Board Christmas Lunches and I am feeling slightly apprehensive. I will be the only one not drinking and it will be noticed. I haven’t decided how I’m going to handle it yet but I think I’m just going to be honest and tell people my husband is having a big operation next year and we’re not drinking for six months so he can go into the operation as healthy as possible. I work in government where respect is a key value, no one’s going to question me. So that’s my plan. I’ll let you know how I go...




No comments:

Post a Comment