Friday 22 January 2021

Celebrity Sober

When I was growing up celebrities tended to be well known for their addictions. It seemed that celebrity went hand in hand with alcohol, drugs and partying. Kurt Cobain, Kate Moss, River Phoenix, Brittany Murphy, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Ozzy Osbourne, Elton John, George Michael, Rob Lowe - the list goes on and on. 

I find it fascinating that many celebrities now are celebrating their healthy sober lifestyles. Brad Pitt, Zac Efron, Sia, Lana Del Rey have all battled with addiction and are now talking openly about recovery and life without alcohol or drugs.

However there also seems to be a growing trend of sobriety amongst celebrities whose looks and work ethic are part of their brand. Jennifer Lopez, Bradley Cooper, Blake Lively all don’t drink. 

I think we’re seeing a movement towards a different kind of role model for future generations. Studies are showing that Generation Z are drinking less. 20% less per capita than Millenials drank at their age. I also find it interesting that social media may play a part in this insta/Snapchat generation. Who wants images and video of their drunk messy selves being shared all over their networks.

Here’s a list of 60 celebrities who don’t drink for various reasons. It’s rather fascinating. 

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/g11644970/celebrities-who-dont-drink-alcohol/

I think even this guy is sober now and that’s saying something. 





1 comment:

  1. I like reading about the celebrities who don't drink too. I hope more and more "come out" as alcohol free and normalize it for when my kiddos are more influenced by celebrity culture. I am no longer modeling drinking for every occasion, but I'm not as cool - LOL.

    ReplyDelete