Saturday 13 February 2021

Valentine’s Day

 It’s Valentine’s Day today. A day of love, roses, champagne, jewellery, dinner, wine. Well usually. 

We won’t be opening a bottle of champagne or a bottle of wine.

Instead I bought my husband a stunning card. It was the only one of its kind in the newsagent. It’s been ages since I bought a card and when I took it to the register to pay I discovered it was $17.99.

I almost choked. But it’s beautiful and most importantly it’s not gushy. I am not a gushy individual and I cannot bring myself to buy heartfelt, emotional cards with sentiments someone else has written that in no way reflect the way I feel. This card simply says, I’m hooked on you.

My husband is my best friend. We’ve had some tremendously difficult ups and downs. We nearly separated six years ago. But he’s also my best friend. I miss him when we’re not together. He’s always the only one I want to tell about my day. He’s the one I want to go adventuring with. We have heated discussions and companionable silences. We’ve been together now 17 years. That’s heaps of history too. It’s lovely to be able to say, remember when. 

So, he’s worth $17.99. Besides I’ve saved $60 on a bottle of champagne and $40 on a bottle of wine.




No comments:

Post a Comment